Monday, March 31, 2008

Um, can someone bring back my happy cheerful non-cranky son please? Because I don't know who this kid is. He is miserable because he's teething, these top teeth are killing him. He doesn't want his gums touched or rubbed, he doesn't really want to chew on anything, he tries and starts immediately whining and crying. He just lost it at dinner time tonight and just screamed and screamed until I picked him up and put him on my lap (he was in his high chair) and cuddled him, but eventually I needed to actually eat some dinner so I just put him in his high chair and gave him the bowl of rice cereal that he was refusing to eat and a spoon and let him make a big mess. He loved it. He was actually quiet! He spent about 20 minutes squishing it in his hands and wiping it all over his tray. He hasn't really connected that he can put food into his mouth himself and eat it, he just plays with it. He's also really freaked out by anything with any more texture than purees, I tried to give him some baked mashed sweet potato and even after straining it through a strainer he kept making these gagging faces, like the texture was too much. Which kinda sucks because baby food is not cheap compared to just baking a sweet potato and mashing it up or a banana or whatever. Oh well.

We bought Savino's "real" carseat today and installed it. I didn't realize it until today but he is actually well over the reccomended height for the infant seat, by several inches. We have been talking about moving up to the big carseat anyway, and so I just went ahead and found one that I liked and the best deal on it was at Wal-Mart so we went and picked it up. Savino is kinda 'eh' about it, I don't think he was really in the mood to appreciate how much nicer it is for him to be able to look out of the window at a higher level. He liked not having to be tied down to the infant seat though, I bought a shopping cart cover and he had a great time playing with all the toys that are attached to it while we were in the store. It's just one step further away from babyhood *sniffs*.

Poor Haley had to study this evening because she has a math test tomorrow. She was really struggling with grasping this one concept and I was having a hard time explaining it to her and helping her figure it out, we were both getting frustrated. I definitely couldn't be a teacher, I have a ton of respect for anyone who does that on a daily basis because I just got more and more frustrated with not being able to help her. Finally, I had to take a break and give Savino a bath (this was after dinner) and she calmed down and when I brought the baby back down, I gave him to Tim and we were able to work it out together by going over it really slowly, step by step. I shudder to think how it will be when she is in high school, it will kill us. I guess that's what tutors are for. I hope she does well on her math test tomorrow, she is trying really hard to pull the C+ she has in math up to a B. I told her that if she is able to pull this last C up to a B we will do something special, because she has really struggled this year with a few subjects but this is the last one that she is working on, the rest she has at least a B in. I don't want to put too much pressure on her about her grades because I think that B's are perfectly fine, but I know she is capable of really applying herself and I want her to have that feeling of pride in herself about it. She brought home like 3 A+'s on tests the other day and I lavished the praise on her, she really deserved it.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Savino will have a restful night, his teeth are really bothering him. I gave him some Motrin before bed but he has been super incredibly fussy, I don't know if it is going to be a good night or not. I really hope these teeth get through in the next few days, I am stressed for him. This afternoon he was nursing and fell asleep, I tried to hand him off to Tim so I could fix dinner and he woke up and just lost it. He was not OK with Tim holding him, he was shrieking at the top of his lungs, his something-is-terribly-wrong shriek. He didn't stop until I came in and picked him up again. If it is going to be like this for the next week, I think I may just lose my mind.

1 comments:

Gingerrose said...

Dad's doing good, he's back at home now. It's like it never happened:) You guys should come to Florida soon to visit!

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com